Welcome. Join our mailing list by emailing us at CLEARWhidbey(at)gmail.com. We are a group of Whidbey Island citizens that have been meeting for about 2 years after one of our members experienced acute health effects when being around his electronics and when another member discovered that smart meters were planned for our whole island by our Puget Sound Energy power company. This lead to investigations, leading to sobering discoveries, leading to a call to others to join in developing knowledge and smart protections available to all citizens.
We began hearing from various sources that electromagnetic waves are not as safe as the industry claims. We call ourselves CLEAR (Citizen League Encouraging Awareness of Radiation). We have already educated ourselves about the many aspects of the problem. Major conclusion: emf microwaves turn out to be invisibly filling our airspaces, and in effect are "the new second-hand smoke, " to speak analogically.
Explanation: recall that the tobacco industry fought for 35 years the ultimate fact that passive smoking, breathing smoker's fumes, caused lung cancer. Finally in 2004 it was pronounced a cause, but only after the tobacco industry used the classic tactics now imitated by the wireless industry. These are 1) marginalize the critics--make them look like conspiracy theorists, whiners or outright kooks; 2) Buy scientists who will publish articles saying there is no harmful effect; 3) sew doubt: create misinformation and spin to soothe users and complicate all findings of harm; 4) undermine scientists' reputations who publish findings of harm; 5) continue to create attractive, addictive products that people won't want to give up; 6) pump money into all university research departments to deflect project priorities away from study of harm; 7) lobby and buy politicians who will resist regulation of the industry.
All of these moves are being used by the wireless industry to keep the public guessing, mute, or resigned about whether there is any health harm from cell phones, wifi, smart meters, 5G, etc. CLEAR's intent has been to educate Whidbey Island on various harms of their technology, prevent the upcoming planned spread of emf-radiating smart meters planned by PSE, and push back on the current industry overreach in foisting very harmful 5G internet-of-things on the public with no safety research.
- Started as a project that grew to about 30 members in late 2017 after a discovery by one member that unsafe levels of EMF had exacerbated his physical problems. Alleviating the EMF resulted in 90% recovery. Other factors are being studied.
- In 2019 we have been growing our membership and mailing list while continuing to inform our members and the public about numerous technical, economic, and political aspects regarding EMF pollution.
- Purchased some very accurate microwave, low frequency and dirty electricity meters; several members have trained using these while measuring our own houses as well as public settings.
- Allied with with local activists by maintaining a very visible EMF information booth at the Second Island County Community Coalition (ICCC) event in Coupeville for networking island activists.
- Sent incisive viewpoints to the Washington Utility and Transportation Commission (WUTC) to strengthen its regulation of energy companies including ours (PSE) regarding radiation safety, costs and fairness with respect to intended pollutive electricity metering.
- Educated in some depth the Langley City Council members and one of the Island County Commissioners about the smart meter issue and rebutted for them many false claims by PSE about the harmlessness of "smart" meter program ultimately intended for the island.
- Held discussions with the Washington group SUMA (Safe Utility Meters Alliance), gaining access to their abundant cache of information and their wide network of members as well as their highly experienced co-chairwomen with whom we have a personal relationship. They have in-depth electrical engineering and home mitigation expertise also.
- Four multi-media presentations and a movie for the public on the Electrosmog problem that includes wi-fi, smart meters, cell phones and the 5G push. Electrosmog is ever growing--see one presentation on all this linked on our home page.
- Ongoing interaction with South Whidbey School System about how to reduce the intense radiation fields immersing students and teachers for many hours a day. This is a challenging problem that has effects for our future generations.
- 2020 Presentation and exhibit at Sound Stewards University on how plants, animals and insects are being degraded by human-made ubiquitous, ever-growing radiofrequencies spread throughout the whole troposphere of the planet.